Sunday, February 21, 2010

My first conference

I attended my first art therapy conference this weekend. And it was, well, amazing. I was in a room full of peers who truly understood what all this means, the art and therapy and what we all want to do with our lives. No one asking "art therapy? Is that real?". It was great.

I went to a lecture about working with individuals who label themselves as transgender. And it was an eye opener. I know a lot about it already, the language that is used, what it means to a person, all of that. What I hadn't thought about was the lack of resources for that population. During a survey almost all therapist said they would refer the client. I get that, transgender can be difficult to understand for some, but where do you refer them to? There isn't any formal training offered, and most that go into this population do so due to personal reasons. Makes me wonder if I might want to work with this population. Guess only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's so sad that there is such a lack of resources out there. Most cases get stuck with an overbooked social worker, not a therapist at all. It is definitely something to look into, if it pulls on your heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete